Sunday, February 21, 2010

Marinara!


Marinara (4 of 4), originally uploaded by homanhouse.

It was that time again. Today, after Chris made his batch of beer (since we use the same pots, burner, etc.) I took on my big batch of marinara. I make this once, maybe twice a year. We ran out about two months ago, and Chris and I both realized how much we liked it (since we complained a lot about the jarred sauce I bought).

And today, I attempted to actually make a recipe for what I made. I usually make it to taste and sight. So basically I wing it, and then someone asks me what I did, and I have no idea. So I measured what I did today.



First, the mirepoix. This had

4 lb carrots
2 lb celery
8 onions
1/3 cup minced garlic
4 cups of olive oil

Marinara (1 of 4)

Cook until tender and onions translucent. Use a BIG pot (or scale down I suppose!)

Then add lots of tomato products. I buy the very economical huge cans at Costco. ~110 oz. each. This recipe has

2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste

Marinara (2 of 4)

Then, add spices and simmer ~ 2 hours.

1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsp basil
4-1/2 tbsp kosher salt
3 tbsp thyme
3 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp fennel seed

Marinara (3 of 4)

PS -- a really big stirrer is required. The first time we made it (poor planning) the spoon was too short, and I sanitized and used a clothes rod. Take two: purchase long metal spoon, but still pretty difficult to stir.

Today -- Chris let me use his beer home brew mash paddle. Total success. Except now it is red and probably my dedicated paddle and I'll get him a new unflavored one for the beer making next time!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed