Monday, November 15, 2010

Freezer restocking


Cookin Nov 10 (11 of 11), originally uploaded by homanhouse.

Ok, my freezer restocking has officially begun. We had finally eaten through most of what is in our deep freeze, and hadn't really put much there since before Ethan was born!! (But you can eat for months literally out of our freezer space!). This is the outside freezer stacked with the home cooked quick dinners of meatloaf, pork loin, pork chops. Adding a few more friend suggested recipes next. Also the 10 lb of flour from my 25 lb bag purchase (for all the homemade bread baking!)

Cookin Nov 10 (9 of 11)

Cookin Nov 10 (2 of 11)

Cookin Nov 10 (3 of 11)

Cookin Nov 10 (6 of 11)

3 comments:

The Bouldins said...

okay. i want recipes. and how much you put in each container. and reheating instructions.

this is AWESOME!!!

Homan House said...

Hey Joanna! We eat like this during the week to avoid weeknight cooking after work when everyone (aka MEGAN) is immediately hungry when we get home.

I buy half sheet pans from SAMS, heavy duty aluminum foil, and 2 gallon zip locks (kind of hard to find but worth it). Each pan just has what we eat in a meal - so you can adjust portions up or down. We have 4 pieces of meat loaf, 3 pork chops, etc. but I usually keep a larger one too for when family visits, etc.

I freeze everything precooked to make it easier. To reheat, I pull out of the freezer and bake covered in foil (ummm remove zip lock bag!) for 60 - 90 minutes depending on the size.

I save & reuse the big ziplocks. We have an auto oven timer, so sometimes we even put the pan in the oven at lunch and set the oven to turn on at 4PM so that dinner is served right when we get home!

The side dishes are mostly big bags of frozen veges from Sams or Costco -- so just a big bag of frozen green beans opened and split into six pans or so. Plus my mashed potato recipe seems to freeze well, so we bought 15 lb bag of potatoes at Sams, and made them all one night to freeze.

We bought the upright deepfreeze just for this, and I'd say it had a quick pay back, but you can always do it in smaller portions...

I'll link some recipes that we use. I actually have a bunch in a facebook post I'll send you... :)

Homan House said...

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=121606827897144&id=1086293223&po=1

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed