Unfortunately, it isn't the good kind of news to share.
For the last month or two I have been struggling a bit with a complication of the twin pregnancy called placenta previa. Basically the placenta attaches over the cervix in a bad location. Most often it moves as the pregnancy continues and the uterus enlarges. However, with the twins, I have TWO placentas and both placentas overlapped in the previa position, making the pregnancy complicated, and labor dangerous to both me and the twins.
Then on Thursday Aug 28th, I woke up at 4AM having contractions (which at 18 weeks is extremely early) and by the time I got to the hospital I was in labor. Due to the previa they couldn't do anything to stop the contractions (because of risk to me).
I was fortunate to be at an excellent hospital and under the care of an even better specialist. I was unfortunate that this all happened in Michigan while I was away at work and by myself. I was in the Operating Room for about 4 hours, but after all of it, we very sadly lost both of the twins -- one boy and one girl, just as Megan predicted.
The nursing staff and doctors were all very kind, and I think that they really felt for me especially since Chris was in Texas trying as quickly as possible to get to Ann Arbor. He called twice, and they actually brought me the phone in the OR so that I could talk to him. My surgeon said that was the first time he operated on someone who was on the telephone.
I am back home now, still recovering. Due to the previa, I lost a lot of blood, so that is primarily what I am recovering from now. That, and a lot of sadness at the loss of our kiddos. But Megan is great, and is really helping us through this. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers as we work through this.
Chris, AnnaLisa and Megan
13 years ago


1 comment:
Big hugs and prayers to all of you. I can't imagine the heartbreak, but we are thinking of you.
Post a Comment